Autumn Bounty

Autumn is my very favorite time of year. I love the crisp air, the mulched smell of decaying leaves, the bright sun and brisk breeze. I love the look of a frost-bitten garden and the long shadows on autumn afternoons.

For most people, autumn symbolizes the tucking in of the harvest, the start of the long, cold, dark seasons. For me, it's always been a time of renewal. Perhaps since my birthday falls just after the autumnal equinox, I feel my year starting anew just as everyone else's is winding to a close.

This year, autumn is especially poignant. My life started many new chapters this summer. I started a new job, as did POSSLQ. I found strength I never knew I had and am overcoming the trauma that shadowed my summer. My relationship feels brand new.  Even my car is new (to me). This fall it seems we are finally reaching some sense of normalcy, restoring balance to the upheaval of our life.

I've been stepping out to my garden with less frequency as the weather cools, and I made my final harvest today. It was wonderful to wander the rows and see every plant preparing itself for winter.
I was planning to harvest seeds, but one day I saw four birds
eating from this flower, and decided they needed them more than me!

My marigolds were beautiful this year, and look striking with deadened blooms and dried stalks.

The herb spiral, filled in very nicely.

Peppers I saved just before a hard frost. 


Dried beans. We only have about 1/3 of what I hoped for,
since most of our plants gotten eaten by rabbits.

Comments

Popular Posts