The Lazy Days of June...

In some ways, it's hard to believe it's been over a month since I blogged. In other ways, it makes sense. The month of June was mostly devoted to holiday for E and me, three weeks of laying about at the house; our biggest accomplishment was keeping ourselves fed. Since we started back at the yurt in early July, we've been keeping ourselves busy trying to catch up from the lazy days of June.

Summer always feels like a very busy time for me. I don't think I'm really any busier than other times of the year, but my aversion to the weather makes me much less productive, so I feel very busy when I am productive.

Preparations for Front Porch Fest have begun in earnest now, so we are out of the house a little more than usual. The pool is always calling our name, and it seems like our family is running here and there and everywhere in the summer. 

The weather this summer has been more agreeable than some years (though not as mild as last summer), which means our garden is flourishing with very little help from me. We've been eating fresh cucumbers, squash, zucchini, and banana peppers for several weeks now, but we are still waiting for the tomatoes to redden. We are on our second crop of green beans, and this year the flowers are blooming beautifully.

There are, I'm certain, at least a hundred green tomatoes in my garden.

E's cucumbers are lovely, and he is enjoying them fresh from the garden and well salted.
This evening we may test out a new refrigerator pickle recipe.

I'm so happy to have an abundance of flowers in the garden this year. 

This is my first year growing zinnias, and this variety is just lovely.

The bean teepee is so full this year, I can't wait until it's harvest time!

My sunflowers didn't come up as well as last year, but it's looking to be an earlier bloom this year.

And as I was taking pictures, I noticed this one ripe tomato...
As soon as I snapped the picture, I popped it in my mouth.

This is the other thing that's kept us busy this month - one of our bantams hatched two chicks!
These babies are 6 days old now. 

Comments

Popular Posts