Yes, I Can Wipe My Bum With Something That Has Bunnies On It.

One of my favorite things to do on a rainy day is to catch up on my endless pile of sewing projects. My machine is tucked away in the closet at the top of the stairs, and as I sit in the antique chair at my sewing desk, I can hear the raindrops on the roof, a foot above my head. Very soothing for the soul, I tell you.

Today I set myself the task of sewing up two baby slings. After making one for a very dear friend a few weeks ago, I've made this project my baby shower gift-of-choice.

I have very strict rules about what I give as baby gifts. Though my views on childbirth and child-rearing are speculative, and I don't expect everyone else to share my opinions, I flatly refuse to spend my money on things I deem unnecessary. This includes, but is not limited to, wipey warmers, nursery decorations, bottles (especially plastic ones or the kind with pink bows or blue boats printed on them), expensive cutesy clothes that will never be worn, disposable diapers, disposable wipes, the Diaper Genie (doesn't that sound like something better than POO STINK should come out??), or bath wash/lotion/massage crap with loads of chemicals. I also won't buy into the "pink polka dots and ribbon for a girl, blue boats and trains for a boy" shit, so I only give green or yellow baby gifts, even if everyone knows what sex the baby will be! As you can see, these rules make it difficult to give a gift. At the last shower I went to, I brought a breast pump, a hand-made blanket, and a stack of cloth diapers. I have given that "nursing pillow" that is all the rage right now (which people are using to prop their infant up to see the TV better!!!!), but I just love the idea of handmade items for babies.

So here I am, sewing baby slings. They take about 20 minutes to make, and only 2 1/2 yards of fabric, so it's a no-brainer! Much less expensive than a lot of gifts, and I'm sure no one else at the shower will give one. They are so beautiful, and can be used from infancy until about two years old. I guess the Diaper Genie can be used for that long too, but it's not beautiful! Plus, the sling is great for motor development, fosters breastfeeding, and is ideal for attachment parenting. Three points for baby sling, zero for Diaper Genie.

Ignore the fact that my baby model is a stuffed panda, and tell me, doesn't that look comfy? Plus, I can still use both hands to knit or read or whatever, and my panda-baby feels safe. Almost like he's still in the womb. When he gets bigger, and nosier (as infants do), I can face him out to the world, and still have him close to my heart... So sweet!







I went into "sewing mode" today, and whipped out a few more cloth napkins. We are slowly making the switch to reusables, and trying to eliminate all paper products from the house. These napkins are made of a lovely olive linen, and we use them every day! And look, you can sort of see the garden out the window!


Of my final sewing project for the day, I'll say only this -- aren't these cute fabrics??


And, of course, the obligatory bunny update -- he is, at this very moment, munching GRASS right outside the garden. Good bunny.

Comments

Popular Posts